Tuesday, November 12, 2013

When twitter first came about, I was vocally very anti-twitter.  I thought it was a stupid website, and did not know why anyone would have created an account.  Then I realized a lot of celebrities were creating accounts and talking to their fans, which was the reason I initially joined.  I am a HUGE fan of pro-wrestling and rock & roll music, so I first signed up to follow wrestlers and bands.  It was a good way to get updates on concerts, new music, live wrestling shows, and just every day silly antics.
Now that social media is a vital part of today's society, pretty much EVERYBODY has a twitter.  TV shows, movies, actors, comedians, other performers, pretty much anything or anyone you can think of has an account to connect with their audience.  I know follow 1005 accounts, and have 281 followers.  It is not a lot, but not too bad seeing as I'm just your everyday, average Joe.  Most of the people I do follow are in the famous realm one way or another.  Then there are a bunch of friends, work associates, and classmates I do also follow as well.

I think, based off of Twitter, that mostly technological time influences everyday life.  What I tweet nowadays is mostly just randomness.  Tweets about TV shows I'm gonna watch, what concerts I am going to, complaints about annoying people/school/work, things of that nature.  Classmates and other peers fall under the same category.  They would just tweet everyday things like when and what they are eating that meal, when they are going to work or doing homework, and whatnot.

For example, classmate Erica tweeted on October 24th, "Tweeting and I have massive midterm studying to do this upcoming weekend."  Another classmate, Alyssa, tweeted on October 27th "too tired to think straight enough to get my work done, but too overwhelmed and stressed to be able to fall asleep and nap"  A lot of people who are going to school and who work have a lot of trouble with time management (including myself).  There is always schoolwork to be done but people have jobs and other personal issues to take care of, so it is hard to sort out your time.

I think "Garden of Forking Paths" could be a little confusing, even for twitter users.  Borges does a lot of switching back and forth between the characters.  The main 'time' used in the story would probably be stellar time, though there are both technological and entropic parts of the story as well.  Murder is the worst crime there is, which leads to chaotic time without question.  

~Steven Chanzis

1 comment: