Saturday, November 9, 2013

Twitter in a Timely manner

When I first heard of Twitter and it’s mass popularity in 2008 I was not a fan, compared to Facebook I thought Twitter was pretentious. Doing this assignment-using twitter, I found that it was quite helpful in its simplicity. The 140 characters or less model is good for two reasons, one being that every tweet is directly to the point, two it’s not as time consuming as Facebook. To further expand on Twitter’s edge over Facebook, I really enjoy Twitter’s use for quick news feeds. An example would be following The New York Times, following news publications on Twitter frequently give anyone a quick headline and article link to breaking news. Whereas Facebook, we would hear the news from a 3rd source and the news information can be distorted. Getting news information that affects you is always critical especially in entropic and teleological time.

For me personal, my time is usually affected teleological or during entropic times. I am student who takes the LIRR to and from school, so when I found out two weeks ago on twitter (via following News12 LI) that a tree fell on one of the tracks of the train that I ride (Babylon branch), I had to quickly adjust my route to school to make it to school on time. That day, and that incident was an example of entropic time, an unexpected occurrence of a tree falling on a train track disrupting the lives of hundreds of people who use the Babylon branch to get to and from work or school. Thankfully I followed News12 LI on twitter and received the feed before I got on the bus to get to the train station.


In another instance, one of my classes was cancelled and a classmate of mine tweeted it first so everyone indadvertedly got the notification, before any of us read the email from our professor. Just like “The Garden of Forking Paths”, time is stellar, entropic, and indifferent to the way we live our lives and interact with on another. Twitter, unlike other social networks, is really useful when you’re lucky enough to receive a tweet in a timely manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment