Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tweet Tweet

I've been an active Twitter user for almost four years. During these past four years, I've accumulated many followers consisting of mostly high school acquaintances and college friends. In regards to the tweets of these peers it’s hard to choose a type of time which dominates and influences them most. I think it's really all a mix.                                                                                                                                                   Since most of us have the mobile app for Twitter on our cell phones, Twitter is always there.
If it wasn’t so easily accesible, would we bother sharing the things we do on Twitter later in the day with the people we see? Probably not. A majority of the tweets that flood my timeline don’t seem of much importance. They are just things and reactions to those things happening in the moment that in a pre-twitter world we would most likely just tell ourselves in our heads. Now since Twitter is here, right at the palm of our hands, most of us think 'why not tweet it.' It’s like Twitter is this friend you tell these random thoughts throughout the day to because no one else is there in that moment, or even if they were, some of things I share I don't know if I would even bother physically saying. Some examples of these kinds of tweets I've seen on my timeline are: “this girl is so annoying, a 4 page essay is not even a lot, stfu and stop complaining,” "is this girl seriously wearing a dress and heels to school?" and “if I hear Katy Perry’s “Roar” one more time on the radio I’m going to KILL somebody” and “late again for class, waited 15 minutes for the subway... cool.” I scroll through so many of these kinds of tweets a day, and it's funny to think about how twitter is almost therapeutic for people in a way. I'm not saying that these are the only types of tweets posted, but I'd say they are the majority when it comes to peers. People always complaining and criticizing, it takes me by surprise how much negativity there is when I actually decide to read the tweets of the people I follow. You also see people posting their thoughts about what's going on in the world, reactions to what others tweet, and there are a lot of lyrics and quotes. Just before these two were right after each other on my timeline "If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore" and "you just always have to stay positive." I guess these types of tweets are influenced by teleological time considering there must have been something that person had read, witnessed, heard, or experienced to make a person feel the need to tweet that.
What I do find interesting dealing with entropic time, is that when something severe randomly happens to somebody, you would think Twitter is the last thing on their mind, but that's not true. I’ve seen a guy I went to high school with upload a picture of his freshly sliced open hand from construction work that wound up needing to get 40 stitches (only know this because of twitter). It's crazy to think that he was like "my hand is deeply sliced open and I'm losing a massive amount of blood, but hey, coworker, take a pic of me with it to post on social media. Other tweets include somebody posting about how their dog just got hit by a car, and I often find myself replying with a sorry because I guess attention and sympathy is what we're looking for when we share such personal things. It's really interesting how deep or how vague people can be. Some use it as a diary almost, and others post thing that are as interesting as "good morning" and "work until 8."

No comments:

Post a Comment